When you are involved in a car accident, there are likely many things running through your mind. Most importantly, you are probably concerned about your wellbeing, as well as the other passengers in your vehicle. You might even be worried about your vehicle and how you will handle the needed repairs.
Steps to Take After a Clifton Car Accident
There are a few important things to do following a car accident. Here is a list of the top 10 things to do following a car accident:
1. Never flee: It is important to never flee the scene of an accident, regardless of how minimal the accident is. Doing so is illegal in New Jersey.
2. Evaluate your condition: Safety is a priority. Evaluate how you are feeling and if you are experiencing any pains. If you are, call 911 immediately.
3. Evaluate the other passengers: If you have passengers in your vehicle, you’ll also want to evaluate their condition. If it is safe to do so, check on the condition of the other parties involved in the car accident.
4. Call for help: It is always a good idea to call the police immediately following a car accident. Even if the accident is minimal, you might need a copy of a police report to file with your insurance company. Request that everyone involved wait for the police to arrive to ensure an accurate report given.
5. Report the incident: When police arrive, give them an accurate report of the details of the accident. Never report any information that you are not confident of and avoid placing blame. The police will evaluate the details and determine what occurred.
6. Collect evidence: It can be helpful to begin collecting evidence as soon as possible. Request a copy of the police report. Capture any images of the accident. These items can be helpful when filing your claim with your insurance company or when seeking compensation.
7. Request information: It can also be helpful to collect the insurance and contact information of the other drivers’ involved in the car accident. This is also a good time to request the information of any witnesses who might have witnessed the accident.
8. Notify your insurance company: Notify your insurance company as soon as possible. Never admit guilt or place blame. Instead, give them an accurate report of the details that occurred during the accident.
9. Follow up with medical care: Whether you received medical care immediately following the accident or not, it is also a good idea to follow up with all medical care needs. Maintain all doctors’ appointments and keep all of your medical records. These documents might be important to your case.
10. Discuss your case with a personal injury lawyer: A personal injury lawyer can ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve from the insurance company. They can also help you navigate a third-party personal injury claim, if necessary.
When you are involved in a car accident, it is normal to feel confused and overwhelmed. Following these steps, you can ensure that you and your passengers are okay, while also protecting your legal rights in the event that another driver is at fault for the motor vehicle accident.
Contact a Wayne Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Motor Vehicle Accident Case in New Jersey
Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to a motor vehicle accident in New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at The Law Office of Silverman & Roedel, LLLC represent clients injured because of a car accident in Paterson, Clifton, Passaic, Wayne, and throughout New Jersey. Call (972) 772-6411 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 1187 Main Avenue, Suite 2C, Clifton, NJ 07011.
The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.