Move Over, Ghosts: Increased Motor Vehicle Accidents Are the Scariest Thing About Halloween

Halloween night brings an increase of ghosts, goblins, and frightening decorations. While many relish in the fears that come with Halloween, it is important to also be aware of other risks, like an increase in car accidents.

Why Is There an Increase in Car Accidents?

As children hit the road in search of their favorite candies, there is an increase in both pedestrians and vehicles on the road. This can present a risky, and dangerous, situation. Additionally, some drivers may be leaving celebrations, in which alcohol may have been consumed. Halloween can also bring about numerous distractions. 

Drivers may be distracted by pedestrians in costume, or even their own costumed passengers. Finally, much of the trick-or-treating that takes place on Halloween takes place after the sun has set, reducing driver visibility even further. Each of these things leads to an increase in Halloween accidents.

Tips for Keeping Your Family Safe This Halloween

Keep your family safe this Halloween with these tips:

  • Ensure costumes are easily noticeable
  • Ensure children are supervised
  • Avoid other distractions, like phone or radios
  • Drive at, or slower than, the speed limit
  • Avoid drinking and driving

While it is important to be cautious of your surroundings anytime you drive a vehicle, you may need to take extra caution on Halloween.

What You Need to Know Following a New Jersey Car Accident

No one ever plans to get into a car accident. However, if you are involved in one, it is important to know what you are expected to do next.

Here are just a few important things to know following a New Jersey car accident:

  • Receiving medical care following your car accident can help you provide any evidence for any pains that might arise later.
  • It is always a good idea to file a police report. In fact, many insurance providers require that you do file one.
  • New Jersey follows comparative negligence laws. This means that even if you are partially to blame, you still may be able to collect compensation for the portion of the accident that is not your fault.
  • You have just two years from the date of the car accident to file a claim in New Jersey.

Your first priority following a car accident should be to ensure the safety and wellbeing of every passenger involved. If needed, call 911. If every passenger appears to be okay, then you can move on to reporting the accident and beginning to prepare your evidence. Even if, at the time of the accident, you do not plan on filing a lawsuit, it can be helpful to gather evidence, in case you should need to.

This includes photographs, videos, witness contact information, and any other information that may be important to your case. These time-sensitive pieces of information may not be retrievable later on. It is also useful to discuss your case with a personal injury lawyer. You and your lawyers can discuss your legal options and choose the one that makes the most sense to your case.

Contact a Passaic Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Car Accident Case in New Jersey

Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to a car accident in the state of New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at the Law Office of Silverman & Roedel, LLC represent clients injured because of a pedestrian and car accidents in Clifton, West Milford, Little Falls, Woodland Park, and throughout New Jersey. Call (973) 772-6411 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 1187 Main Avenue, Suite 2C, Clifton, NJ 07011.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.