Filing a Car Accident Claim Against a Public Entity

Claims Against Public Entities

Navigating a car accident can be difficult enough, but what happens when you’re in an accident against a public entity? Do you have any legal options available?

What is a Public Entity?

A public entity refers to any government company. This might include an accident with any of the following:

  • The New Jersey Transit system
  • The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT)
  • A New Jersey police officer
  • Any other government employee, including school or county worker

These are just a few of the potential public entity accidents that you can experience. However, navigating a car accident case against a public entity can be confusing.

Read more: What Should I Do Immediately Following My Car Crash?

Causes of Accidents With a Public Entity

There are two primary methods of being in an accident with a public entity:

  • A direct accident with a public entity vehicle or employee: This might include being in a car accident with a police officer or being injured on the New Jersey Transit System.
  • An indirect accident due to the negligence of a public worker: An accident can also occur from the negligence of a public worker. This might include an NJDOT employee not maintaining the roads properly or failing to repair roads, leading to an injury.

Despite what some might think, it is possible to go after a public entity for compensation through a lawsuit. The process may be a little different, but in many ways, is the same as if you were seeking compensation from another party.

Read more: Symptoms To Look Out For After A Car Accident

Filing an Accident Claim With a Public Entity

One of the first steps of filing an accident claim with a public entity is to consider whether or not you have a case. Discussing your case with a Clifton personal injury lawyer can be helpful as you consider your legal options. While the filing process for seeking compensation from a public entity is in some ways, similar to filing a case against anyone else, there are a few key differences.

For one, if you believe a public worker or government entity is at fault, we must file your notice of claim within 90 days. This is much shorter than the state’s traditional timeline. After filing this claim is when you may or may not receive a settlement offer. Many government entity claims are settled outside of court.

This is because it can be expensive to go to court. Additionally, most government departments don’t want the attention that may come with going to trial. So, in return, they may offer a settlement. A skilled personal injury lawyer can help in many ways, including calculating your damages to help you better determine its value. If you and the government entity cannot come to an agreement, then you may decide to take your case to trial. Doing this requires careful investigation and proof of liability. Following certain steps is an important part of filing a claim against a government entity. Missing any of these steps or the timeline can void your case, making you ineligible to collect any compensation.

Contact a Clifton Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Car Accident Case in New Jersey

Did you or a loved one sustain injuries in a car accident with a public entity in New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at Silverman & Roedel, LLC represent clients injured in car accidents in Paterson, Clifton, Passaic, Wayne, and throughout New Jersey. Call (973) 772-6411 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 1187 Main Avenue, Suite 2C, Clifton, NJ 07011.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.