Filing an Auto Damage Claim With Your Own Insurer

What to Expect When Filing a Car Insurance Claim
If you were injured in a car accident in Clifton, NJ, call the personal injury lawyers at Silverman and Roedel for a consultation.

If you are injured in a car accident in New Jersey, you will need to turn to your insurance company for compensation. This is because New Jersey is a no-fault state. If you drive a car in New Jersey, it is important to know what this means because you will have to follow certain steps to cover your damages.

What Does No-Fault Insurance Mean and How Does It Work?

New Jersey is one of a few states in the county that follows no-fault auto insurance laws. This means that regardless of who is at fault for an accident, each driver will receive compensation from their personal injury protection insurance. The type of compensation that you receive, and the amount, will vary, depending on your policy.

What Does This Mean For You?

Following New Jersey’s no-fault laws, insurance companies offer drivers a few options. You may carry minimal coverage which covers any damages that you cause to someone else. This does not cover your own damages. In order for your insurance company to cover your damages, you will need to have a full-coverage policy with collision or comprehensive coverage.

Collision coverage covers damages related to a car accident, regardless of who is at fault. Comprehensive coverage covers damages that are not related to a car accident, like theft or weather damage. Most insurance companies also require a deductible. This is an amount that you will have to pay before they pay anything.

Otherwise, you may be on your own to cover your own damages. Depending on the details of the case, you may be able to sue the other driver to cover these damages.

This also means that you have to follow your insurance company’s rules for collecting compensation after an accident. They may require that you notify them of the car accident within a specific time period. They may also require that you take your vehicle to a mechanic that is approved. 

When to Contact a Car Accident Lawyer

If your own insurance company is responsible for covering your vehicle damages, why would you need a car accident lawyer? There are a few reasons why you may need a lawyer, including:

  • Your damages exceed your insurance policy: If you are in a bad car accident, it is possible that your damages will exceed the amount that your insurance company will cover.
  • Your insurance company denies your claim: It is possible for your insurance company to deny your claim.
  • Your insurance company questions your injuries: Your insurance company may also try to minimize your injuries to pay you less.
  • You are blamed for the accident: If the other driver insists that you were responsible for the accident, they may try to file a claim against you.

Navigating car accidents can be as easy as filing a claim with your insurance company and collecting compensation. However, it can also be as difficult as being denied compensation that you have a right to. Either way, it can be beneficial to discuss your case with a car accident lawyer following an accident.

Contact A Wayne Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Car Accident Case in New Jersey

Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to a car accident in New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at Silverman & Roedel, LLC represent clients injured because of a car accident in Clifton, Wayne, West Milford, Hawthorne, and throughout New Jersey. Call (973) 772-6411 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 1187 Main Avenue, Suite 2C, Clifton, NJ 07011.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.