What Should I Do If I Was in A Car Accident With No Damage?

Most people know what to do if they are involved in a major car accident. They know that they are required to report the accident and that they should seek immediate medical care. But, what if you are involved in a car accident and there is no damage present? Can you leave the scene of the accident? Do you need to report it?

New Jersey Laws Regarding Reporting a Car Accident

New Jersey law requires you to report any car accident that results in $500 or more of property damages. Additionally, you must also report any car accident in which a passenger or pedestrian was injured or killed. You must also report the accident within 10 days. If you do not call the police from the scene of the accident, then you will need to file a written accident report or an official Self-Reporting Crash form. You can obtain these forms from the New Jersey Department of Transportation.

Depending on your insurance provider, you may also be required to report the accident to them within a certain time period. Failing to do so could breach your agreement and policy. While you might be hesitant to do so to avoid policy increases, failing to do so could lead to more expensive charges later. Additionally, if you do identify property damages later, you won’t be able to seek compensation from your insurance provider.

Determining Damages Isn’t Always Easy

It is also important to keep in mind that just because you don’t immediately notice damages, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t any. Some damages are not easy to recognize, including:

  • Battery problems
  • Leaking fuels in the interior
  • Electrical problems
  • Vehicle misalignments

Some mechanical problems take longer to show up. If you leave the scene of the accident and notice problems later, it may be difficult to connect them to the accident.

It is also important to consider bodily damages. Not experiencing any aches or pains immediately following the accident does not mean that you didn’t suffer any injuries. Car accidents can be overwhelming and it is not uncommon for bodily aches to be masked. If possible, it is always a good idea to seek medical care following a car accident, regardless of how minor the accident is.

Not Sure What to Do Following a Car Accident?

Being involved in a car accident, regardless of its severity, can be overwhelming. It is normal to have questions and it is best to request answers to those questions before you make a mistake that could cost you later on. If you were involved in a car accident, it is always a good idea to reach out to a car accident lawyer.

Your lawyer will not only guide you on the right steps to take, but they can also help you handle communications with your insurance company. Making mistakes, even minimal ones could be expensive. If you do have to file a claim with your insurance provider, you might benefit from the knowledge of a lawyer.

Contact a Clifton Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Car Accident Case in New Jersey

Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to a car accident in New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at Silverman & Roedel, LLC represent clients injured because of a car accident in Clifton, West Milford, Little Falls, Woodland Park, and throughout New Jersey. Call (973) 772-6411 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 1189 Main Avenue, Suite 2C, Clifton, NJ 07011.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.