Should You Contact Your Insurance Company If You Are Not At Fault?

Should You Contact Your Insurance Company If You Are Not At Fault?

As a general rule, you should always contact your insurance company following an accident, regardless of who is at fault. But, there are still a few things to be aware of when doing so.

When to Contact Your Insurance Company Following an Accident

Ideally, you want to notify your insurance company of a car accident as soon as possible. The steps should be as follows:

  1. Receive immediate medical care
  2. File a police report
  3. Notify your insurance company
  4. Talk with a lawyer

Ensuring your safety, as well as the safety of other passengers or involved drivers is the most important step.

Read more: What Should I Do If I Was In A Car Accident With No Damage?

What to Say When Notifying Your Insurance Company

Because New Jersey is a no-fault state, you will need to first turn to your car insurance carrier for reimbursement. They will cover your vehicle damages and medical bills. When calling them, you should simply state that you have been in an accident and only give them facts. While your fault may not come into question, it could, if you need additional funds to cover your damages.

When talking to your insurance company, keep the following tips in mind:

  • Never accept full blame
  • Never admit to any illegal activities
  • Avoid lying about the accident
  • Be honest about damages

Making assumptions about who is at fault could harm your case later. It could make your case difficult if the insurance company tries to minimize your damages or deny your claim.

Additionally, you may need to demonstrate the fault of the other driver through a personal injury lawsuit and admitting blame can be damaging to this. While you never want to be dishonest, who is at fault is not always clear so it is best to leave it up to the professionals. Let them investigate the case and determine who is at fault.

Read more: What To Do After An Automobile Accident

What Can You Expect Following Your Report?

Once you notify your insurance company of the accident, they will assign a claims representative to your account. This person will ask you some questions regarding the accident itself. They may also want to come out and inspect the damage to the vehicle. They will estimate the total cost of all repairs.

If you do not agree with the estimated value of damages, you can request more information from your representative. They may not have all the information they need for an accurate claim. They may also be missing important costs. If the amount that they offer does not cover your damages, then you might have other options available.

Discuss Your Case With a Personal Injury Lawyer

It can be helpful to have a personal injury lawyer go over the details of your case and ensure that you are receiving a fair amount. In severe car accidents, your insurance may not cover the full cost of damages. In this case, a lawyer can help you consider your available legal options. You may be able to go after the at-fault driver to cover your other medical costs and vehicle damages.

Read more: When Do You Need To Hire A Car Accident Lawyer?

Contact a Clifton Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Car Accident Case in New Jersey

Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to a car accident in New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at Silverman & Roedel, LLC represent clients injured because of car accidents in Paterson, Clifton, Passaic, Wayne, and throughout New Jersey. Call (973) 772-6411 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 1187 Main Avenue, Suite 2C, Clifton, NJ 07011.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.