What Happens After a Car Accident That Is Not Your Fault?

What Happens After a Car Accident That Is Not Your Fault?

You are driving along, minding your own business, thinking about the errands you have to do or what plans you have for the upcoming weekend. Then, BAM – all of a sudden another driver comes along and runs into you. Now your plans include a trip to the hospital. What happens next?

If you’ve been injured, it’s important to understand what happens after a car accident that is not your fault. Continue reading to learn more.

Understanding New Jersey’s No-Fault Laws

The state of New Jersey is a no-fault insurance state. This means that regardless of who is at fault for the accident, your insurance company will cover your damages. However, depending on the extent of your injuries, it is possible for your damages to go over the amount available with them. If you are involved in a bad car accident, your medical bills alone could exceed this limit. 

Then, who pays? You may be able to collect additional compensation, depending on the details of your case.

Receive Additional Compensation Through a Third-Party Lawsuit

If your insurance company does not offer you enough to cover your damages, you may be able to go after the at-fault driver. This would require that we file a third-party personal injury lawsuit. However, this requires demonstrating that the other driver is at fault and that your damages are severe, requiring additional funds.

If you choose to seek compensation in this way, it is beneficial to work with a personal injury lawyer to navigate your case.

Building Your Personal Injury Case

In order to build a personal injury case that clearly demonstrates your damages, as well as the fault of the other driver, it may be important to take certain steps now:

  • Receive medical care: It is crucial that you receive medical care immediately following the car accident. This is for your safety, as well as documentation of your injuries. This also means following up with all medical care, while also documenting each step. Begin to gather any medical records or invoices.
  • Report the accident: You will also need to report the car accident, both to the police and to your insurance company. Request a copy of the police report and take note of any important details you notice, like if the other driver was distracted. You might also collect the information of other drivers involved.
  • Gather information: If able, it is never too early to begin gathering information. This includes taking a photograph or video of the scene of the accident and collecting any witness contact information.
  • Contact a personal injury lawyer: If you decide to pursue compensation, then you will want to reach out to a lawyer as soon as possible.

We have just two years to file a personal injury case in New Jersey. Even if you are eligible for compensation, you may lose out on this eligibility if you wait. Let us help fight for the compensation that you need to recover. You may be eligible for costs like medical bills, property damages, and lost wages. In some cases, pain and suffering compensation may also be available.

Contact a Wayne Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Car Accident Case in New Jersey

Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to a car accident in New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at Silverman & Roedel, LLC represent clients injured because of car accidents in Paterson, Clifton, Passaic, Wayne, and throughout New Jersey. Call (973) 772-6411 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 1187 Main Avenue, Suite 2C, Clifton, NJ 07011.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.