Parking lot accidents are inevitable, especially during the holiday season. If you have been involved in a fender bender, don’t panic! We’ve provided some helpful information on what you should do if your car is hit or you are injured in a parking lot accident this holiday season.
Common Types of Parking Lot Accidents
There are several types of parking lot accidents, including vehicle-to-vehicle and pedestrian accidents. Knowing the several types of parking lot accidents will help you understand which driver is likely to be named at fault by insurance carriers.
- A driver backs out of his or her parking spot and hits a stationary or incoming vehicle
- One car rear-ends another at a stop sign
- Two drivers back into each other’s vehicles
- Two cars hit each other while trying to pull into the same parking spot
What to Do After an Accident
If you have been involved in a parking lot accident, you must take the necessary steps to secure your accident claim. These include:
- Seeking medical care. Immediately after an accident, you should check yourself and your passengers for injuries. If anyone has incurred any form of injury, they should seek medical attention as soon as possible. Document all doctor visits, the nature of diagnosed injuries, and all medications your doctor prescribes.
- Contact your insurance carrier: You should contact your insurance carrier as soon as possible after an accident and explain what happened. They can help you determine whether you need to file a claim for an accident. The sooner your agent is aware of the accident, the sooner they can help you get your life back on track. It’s important to remember that while calling your insurance company is necessary, these companies are always focused on their bottom line. Hiring an experienced personal injury lawyer can help you make sure you’re receiving the compensation you deserve to make up for your lost wages and medical bills.
- Investigate the accident: If you are involved in a parking lot accident, you should take photos of the damages done to both vehicles, the place the accident occurred, and the overall scene of the accident. Then exchange contact information, address, and phone number with the other party. Also, get this information from witnesses and passengers present.
- Gather necessary information: Make notes of the date, time, exact location, details, weather conditions, and parking lot environment immediately after the accident.
- Contact the police: Even if the damages are not severe, you should contact the police and have them come around to the scene of the accident. Once police arrive on the scene, they will create a police report, which will be useful when filing a personal injury claim.
- Never apologize: Even if you feel the accident was your fault, never admit to guilt and never apologize or say anything. There may be underlying issues, such as a defective auto part that you’re unaware of, that caused the accident. Making a statement at the accident scene may be used against you, even if you didn’t intend for it to.
Read more: Filing A Car Accident Claim In New Jersey
Contact a Clifton Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Car Accident Case in New Jersey
Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to a car accident in New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at the Law Office of Silverman & Roedel, LLC represent clients injured because of a car accident in Paterson, Clifton, Passaic, Wayne, and throughout New Jersey. Call (973) 772-6411 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 1187 Main Avenue, Suite 2C, Clifton, NJ 07011.
The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.