What To Do If Someone Hits Your Car

steps to take after someone hits your car

Most people don’t consider what steps to take if another driver hits their car until they are in the middle of the situation. If another driver hits your car, the first step that you should always take is to notify the police. But from here, it is not always clear who pays for what. Whose insurance company do you notify?

What Is New Jersey’s No-Fault Accident Law?

New Jersey follows no-fault accident laws. This means that if someone else damages your vehicle, your own insurance company will pay for the damages. It doesn’t matter who is at fault. This means that the next call you make should be to your own insurance company. Notify them that you have been in an accident. Inform that of the damages and follow their steps. Depending on your policy, they may request that you have it towed somewhere or they may send someone for it.

What If There Isn’t Any Damage?

Even if there isn’t any visible damage, you may still want to notify the police and your insurance company. This is because some damage is not easily identifiable, such as if it is to the vehicle’s structure. Driving without a mechanical inspection could be dangerous. Additionally, if you notice damages later on, but don’t report the accident, it can be difficult to determine when it occurred and your insurance company may not cover it.

Read more: What Should I Do If I Was In A Car Accident With No Damage?

Who Covers Other Costs Related to an Accident?

There may be other costs involved in a car accident besides the damages to your vehicle. For example, medical costs are always a possibility. New Jersey car insurance policies usually include personal injury protection (PIP). It works similar to health insurance and covers your medical bills related to an accident, regardless of who is at fault for the accident.

How Much Will Car Insurance Cover Following a Car Accident?

While your insurance company will cover your damages following a car accident, most policies do have a limit. This limit varies, depending on your policy and level of coverage.

This coverage may cover the majority of your property damages and medical bills, or it may leave you with a lot unpaid. This is common in severe car accidents that lead to a lot of damages. If you are left with expensive injuries that require time off from work, you may need to pursue other options.

Read more: What Happens After A Car Accident That Is Not Your Fault?

When to File a Third-Party Personal Injury Liability Lawsuit

If your damages are more costly than the coverage available through your insurance policy, it can be helpful to reach out to a lawyer to determine your options. Navigating New Jersey’s no-fault laws following a car accident can be confusing and overwhelming but a knowledgeable car accident lawyer can help you consider your options and uncover the compensation you need.

You may be eligible for compensation to cover your property damages, medical bills, and even lost wages. A personal injury lawsuit can also help you collect compensation to cover other types of damages related to the accident, like childcare fees or in some cases, even emotional pain and suffering.

Contact a Little Falls Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Car Accident Case in New Jersey

Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to a car accident in New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at Silverman & Roedel, LLC represent clients injured because of a car accident in Little Falls, Woodland Park, Wanaque, Hawthorne, and throughout New Jersey. Call (973) 772-6411 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 1187 Main Avenue, Suite 2C, Clifton, NJ 07011.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.