Wrong-Way Driving Accidents: What To Do If You Get Injured

Wrong-Way Driving Accidents: What To Do If You Get Injured

Wrong-way driving accidents are less common than other types of car accidents, but they do occur. These types of accidents are often severe, meaning they lead to expensive medical bills and damages. What are your available options if you, or a loved one, are injured in a wrong-way car accident?

What is a Wrong-Way Driving Accident?

A wrong-way driving accident occurs when a vehicle enters a road that is only intended for one-way traffic. This isn’t common as most one-way roads have numerous signs that warn drivers that they are going the wrong way. However, if the driver doesn’t notice the signs, or ignores them, it can lead to a head-on accident. This often leads to painful and expensive injuries.

What is Negligence?

Negligence is one element in proving liability in a car accident. It is when a driver fails to drive in a safe manner, putting other drivers at risk. Negligence may include any behavior that endangers other drivers. This might include drunk driving, speeding, driving distracted, or even driving on a one-way road, the wrong way.

Important Steps to Take Following a Wrong-Way Accident

If you are in an accident in which a driver is driving the wrong way, there are a few important steps to take:

1. Receive Medical Care

Regardless of the cause of an accident, always receive immediate medical care. Evaluate the condition of anyone else involved in the accident and call for help if needed.

2. Report the Accident

You also want to report a wrong-way accident, regardless of the extent of the injuries. If the driver missed the signs, there may be something wrong. They may be driving under the influence of alcohol or another substance. They may also be fatigued or have other health conditions that prevent them from driving safely.

Either way, let the police know so they can investigate the reason further. This is important not only for your case but also for the safety of others.

3. Collect Details

Collect details of the accident as soon as you can. This includes photographs or videos from the scene of the accident. It might also include the contact information of any witnesses. These details may be important to your case if you have to file one later.

4. Contact a Car Accident Lawyer

Depending on the extent of your injuries, you may contact a car accident lawyer who can help you collect the compensation you need to recover. If another driver injured you while going the wrong way, they may also be responsible for your damages.

New Jersey is a no-fault state, which means your insurance company may not cover the full extent of your damages. If you have to take time off to recover, you may find it difficult to cover your costs. A car accident lawyer may be able to help by seeking compensation from the responsible driver.

In this case, this would be the driver who was driving the wrong way. This requires the collection of certain documents as evidence, as well as filing your claim within the state’s time limit.

Contact A Clifton Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Car Accident Case in New Jersey

Did you or a loved one sustain serious injuries due to a car accident in New Jersey? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive personal injury attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at Silverman & Roedel, LLC represent clients injured because of a car accident in Clifton, West Milford, Ringwood, Woodland Park, and throughout New Jersey. Call (973) 772-6411 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 1187 Main Avenue, Suite 2C, Clifton, NJ 07011.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.